The Annual General Meeting - 2004
AGM - 2004
9 March 2004
The March meeting of the Wargrave Local History Society began with the AGM, when the past years activities were reviewed, the committee for the coming year elected, and details of the 2004-5 programme given to members. For the rest of the evening, members had brought along a photograph or an object of local interest to talk about. These included two paintings of Bear Place - one painted in the early 1800s including Sir Moris Ximenes in the uniform of the Windsor Rangers, whilst the other was a more recent view by John Hopwood, whose family had for 3 generations worked for the Remnant family there. An album presented to Alf Beckford in 1974 by the junior school - showing what the school did, had been signed by all the pupils, and items related to Alf as the village hairdresser and in the Home Guard. Memorabilia relating to the village celebrations for the Coronation in 1953 revealed that winners of the childrens races won a Mappin & Webb spoon, costing 5/= each, whilst 400 Coronation mugs at 1/11d each were presented to the children after a tea party. Coaches had been provided to enable the children from Hare Hatch and Crazies Hill to join in the festivities. Other items described included a section of bell rope, from Wargrave church tower, the 1877 conveyance for 4 cottages in Church Street, a board with biblical text from the Almshouses and the warming pan that had been the prize awarded for the Wargrave Pancake Races. There were also a number of interesting photographs showing the St George and Dragon, the Church, Victoria Road, the Police house, Twyford Road, and the Ragged Arches bridge, amongst others.